Castles & Historical Places in Perthshire
With Kinloch House Hotel as your base, you can explore some of Scotland’s history and recapture, if only for a moment, the events and places, castles and history that have shaped Scotland and its people. Our hotel is close to many castles and historical places in Perthshire and Central Scotland
- The Home of a Clan Chief at Castle Menzies, near Aberfeldy, where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed on his march to the Battle of Culloden.
- Two and a half centuries of military history at the Black Watch Museum.
- The childhood home of the Queen Mother at Glamis Castle.
- The island castle on Loch Leven where Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned for almost a year before her dramatic escape.
- The Church where John Knox fuelled the fire of the Reformation at St. John’s Kirk in Perth.
- Walk to the stunning waterfalls that inspired Robert Burns’ poem; “The Birks O’ Aberfeldy“.
- Oldest existing library in Scotland (Innerpeffray, near Crieff), founded by Lord Madderty in 1680.
- The Queen’s View, one Scotland’s most famous views across Loch Tummel to Schiehallion.
- The fairy-tale white Blair Castle, protected by the last and only private army in Europe;
- The magnificent Scone Palace, where Kings of Scots were crowned – on top of the fabled Stone of Destiny.
- Listen for the footsteps of “My Lady Greensleeves” who is reputed to haunt Huntingtower Castle where Mary, Queen of Scots visited in 1565 on her honeymoon with Lord Darnley.